External Service and Professional Activities
- Reviewer for ACM TOCHI, 2016.
- ITS '15 General Chair, 2015.
- Invited talk at the Prototyping the Intangible symposium, Portugal, November 2014.
- International Evaluation Committee for the "EPFL Fellows" program, from 2013.
- Ubicomp '13 Program Committee (Associate Chair), 2013.
- Invited talk at the Computing Department, Open University, October 2013.
- EPSRC proposal reviewer 2012, 2015.
- INTERACT 2011 Program Committee (Associate Chair), 2011.
- TEI '11 Publicity Chair, 2011.
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada proposal reviewer, 2011.
- Invited talk at the School of Architecture, University of Sheffield, November 2011.
- Invited talk at the Institute of Sound and Vibration, University of Southampton, November 2011.
- Invited talk at the Archaeological Department, University of Southampton, May 2011.
- Invited talk at the Mixed Reality Lab, University of Nottingham, May 2010.
- Reviewer for IEEE & ACM International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR), 2009.
- Reviewer for Interacting with Computers journal, 2009.
- Short Term Scientific Mission within the COST IC0601 Action on Sonic Interaction Design EU project at Holon Institute of Technology, Holon, Israel, 2009
- Editorial board for the International Journal of Mobile HCI, 2008 - 2015
- Invited Lecturer at CMU-Portugal, Madeira for 5-days HCI workshop on mobile applications and service design, 2008.
- Reviewer for ACM CHI conference since 2006.
- Short Term Scientific Mission within the COST 287 ConGAS EU project at Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain, 2004
I have served (or am serving) as PhD external examiner for:
- Filipe Quintal, M-ITI Universitade da Madeira (PT), 2016, supervisors: Valentina Nisi, Nuno Nunes.
- Mary Barreto, M-ITI Universitade da Madeira (PT), 2014, supervisors: Nuno Nunes, Evan Karapanos.
- An anonymous student at the Australian National University, 2012.
- Robert Hardy, University of Lancaster (UK), 2011, supervisor: Enrico Rukzio.
I am a member of the ACM, IEEE and IET.
Service and Administrative Duties in Southampton
In Southampton I cover (or have covered) the following administrative roles:
- Director of Graduate School Admissions, 2015 - current
- Departmental Ethics Committee 2010 - current
- Graduate School Admissions Computer Science Tutor, 2011 - 2015
I serve, or have served, as PhD internal examiner for the following students:
- Oliver Parson (Supervisors: Alex Rogers, Mark Weal)
- Davide Zilli (Supervisors: Alex Rogers, Geoff Merrett)
- Paul Booth (Supervisors: Nick Gibbins, Wendy Hall)
- Anas Abuzaina (Supervisors: Mark Nixon, John Carter)
- Ah-Reum Oh (Supervisors: Mark Nixon, John Carter)